Five Ways to Start Your Morning (Without Coffee!)

Happy Monday! 

  
It absolutely blows my mind how often people ask me, "How do you function in the morning without coffee?" My answer is always the same and people are shocked when I tell them I've never drank coffee and that I successfully start my mornings without it. Crazy right?

Well here's my secret...a routine! A routine full of healthy, natural things I do every day to get off to a good start.

One: Get Good Sleep 
My body does not function with less than seven-eight hours of sleep. I'd prefer about nine, but that doesn't always happen. For some reason, my body just really needs lots of sleep. Unfortunately, I'm not very good about going to bed early because I'm a night owl, but a goal I've been working on is to be in bed by 10:30 every night. Along with going to bed at a decent hour, getting up at a decent hour is really important too. I'm usually up by 7:30 so I can get everything in my morning routine done then get busy working!

Two: Exercise
Once I'm up (and have dropped the hubby off at school), I head to the gym for a workout. I'm usually there about 45 minutes to an hour and it seriously sets the mood for my entire day. I have so much more energy and motivation when I work out first thing in the morning. It was a hard habit to get into, but once I did it was totally worth it. Make time to exercise. I can't stress that enough!

Three: Meditate
After the gym, I come home and use my Headspace app to do a quick meditation sesh. I just barely started using this app (thanks for the recommendation Jenna Kutcher!) and it's awesome! I didn't used to meditate, but I added it to my daily routine once I realized that my mind was always on overload and I was easily getting overwhelmed. It calms me down and serves as a mental and physical reminder to take deep breaths and tackle one day at a time. One of things I love about this app is that you can customize your daily session. It can be three, five, or ten minutes long so there's never an excuse to not fit it in! I'll also do some yoga stretches and poses on days where I'm super stressed out or my body is tight.


Four: Eat a Good Breakfast
After Headspace, I get some breakfast. I can't believe how many people skip breakfast or eat like a grape for breakfast! There's a reason all of the nutrition and fitness gurus say it's the most important meal of the day. Give your body some fuel! Not sugary crap...fuel. Especially after a workout.

 I'd like to say I'm good and make eggs or something every morning...but let's be honest, I don't always have time for that. So some mornings I have a hearty, healthy cereal like the pumpkin seed flax granola from Costco or some delicious chia seed pudding that I made the night before. Here's a link for the recipe. I nix the mango and do raspberries instead. Find something you love that will keep you full and satisfied for at least a couple hours.


Five: Listen to a Motivational Podcast 
Podcasts are where it's at! I love them. You can literally find one on almost any topic. Entertainment, Self-Help, Business, Home Decor, Blogging; you name it and you're bound to find it. I've found that listening to a podcast while I get ready for the day helps me turn my brain on, think about what I want to accomplish that day, and sparks my creativity...which lets be honest, is pretty important for my job!

Some of my current favorites are:


So find your groove. Find what works for you and gets you goin' for the day. I've honestly never seen or felt the need for coffee in my life because exercising and good food are my fuel. Motivational podcasts and meditation are my sanity. And good sleep is my saving grace. I also don't like being dependent on a substance or addicted to something. I don't want something to have control over my life. I'm in control of my life and I get to choose how I wake up and start each day. So do you. Make 'em count!


Sweater - Shein
Skirt - Shein
OTK Boots - Boohoo
Purse - Altar'd State
Sunglasses - Primark




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playing Catch Up: June (Plumb Family Vaca)

How to Build a Summer Capsule Wardrobe

How to Build a Spring Capsule Wardrobe