Fighting Off the Winter Blues and Choosing Happiness


Does anyone else tend to get a little down and depressed this time of year? I feel as though I've been riding the "high" of the new year and resolutions and a fresh start. At the end of January and pretty much all of February, the cold New England winter gets to me. I miss the sunshine, the warm weather and the beautiful colors this part of the country offers! But a resolution of mine is to be more positive, see the good in things, and look for a silver lining in even the dullest (or coldest) of situations.


That being said, I started to think a lot about happiness. I've heard and been taught by several influential people in my life that happiness is a choice; that we choose to be happy or not. I haven't always believed that. Sometimes life sucks. It knocks you down and then kicks you in the butt while you're down. But as I reflect and look back on times in my life that were rough and difficult that I maybe didn't handle so well, I realize that I still could have chosen to be happy. I know hindsight is 20/20 and some things are easier said than done, but seeing the positive and being happy through our trials makes them more bearable and also makes the journey more enjoyable. It's called life. We'll all have our ups and downs, but happiness is truly a choice. Choose to make yourself be happy and don't let anyone or anything else determine your happiness!


So in light of spreading some happiness today, I'd like to share five things that make me happy! 

First one is my husband. I know that's cliche and cheesy, but it's so true! He is my rock, my world. He can brighten even the worst of days. Spouses are the best and you should all totally get one haha! 

Second one, the gospel. Being a part of the LDS church brings so much happiness, joy, and hope into my life that I don't even know how to begin to describe it. It's like having a permanent ray of sunshine breaking through the clouds of life. There is always that peace and calmness saying there's more after this life and that my trials won't last forever. 

Thirdly, on a less serious note...being active and exercising. Sometimes, let's be honest...most of the time, I don't do it enough, but when I'm exercising regularly I feel so much happier and better about myself! It's weird, but in a way I almost seem more capable of handling hard things when life throughs them my way because I want to be as mentally strong as I am physically! 

Fourth, fashion. I love fashion! I love trying new looks, shopping, and having options when I look in my closet. I love that fashion helps me get outside of my comfort zone to try something new that I thought I wasn't brave enough to try. I love finding good deals (like my $0.80 boots a few years back!). And there's just something about new clothes and how they can totally make you feel like a brand new, refreshed version of yourself. I guess that's why they call it retail therapy!

Lastly, movies. I am such a movie buff! My husband makes fun of me because any time we go to Walmart or Target, I have to stop by the movie section and see what's new or on sale! I also could live at the movie theater...if I were rich...maybe some day! Speaking of new movies, have you all seen The Greatest Showman?! Even if you have no clue what it's about, if musicals aren't your thing, or you think you won't like it...I promise, you will! It was so incredible and beyond anything I could have imagined. The music blew my mind and I really liked the cast. So good. I definitely recommend it!



To go along with being happy and finding joy in life, I want to share one of the things I've been super passionate about lately; putting time and effort into expanding this blog. I have been focusing on networking and reaching out to more companies that I love their products, I can see myself working with and endorsing and that have the same or similar values as me. I continue to find these hidden gems and great companies and today's feature is no exception!


I received this adorable plaid dress from Andreana's Boutique and couldn't love it more! The sleeves are actually long enough for me...which is saying something! The fabric is thick and warm and it hangs so elegantly. I love how the neutral colors and subtle pattern compliment each other so well. And the owner is a dream to work with! Very communicative and super sweet. Ok, let's talk logistics: 

I'm 5'8" and wearing a large
Runs small
Black & white (also comes in burgundy)
Large plaid pattern





Dress - c/o Andreana's Boutique
Tights - Primark
Boots - Primark (similar)
Coat - Costco (similar)

She gave me a discount to share with y'all as well! Use code "Newyear25" at checkout to save 25% off your purchase! I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts and what makes you happy or how you combat the winter blues in the comments below. Happy Monday!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playing Catch Up: June (Plumb Family Vaca)

How to Build a Summer Capsule Wardrobe

How to Build a Spring Capsule Wardrobe