As women we are so hard on ourselves! I AM DEFINITELY GUILTY OF THIS!!! We are our own worst critics. We compare ourselves to the people in our lives, people in movies, people on magazine covers, and even people on the street we see in passing. Again, I AM GUILTY OF THIS! Some of us feel as though we live in the shadow of another and that we will never measure up; as if we were always meant to be second best. You guessed it, I AM GUILTY OF THIS TOO! 

I think a lot of women today focus too much on worldly characteristics and what society thinks. Doesn't it get old?! Having those feelings of sorrow, failure, and defeat? Realizing that you didn't magically switch places with that woman on the street or in that movie? What good did it do to compare yourself to them when in the end, you're still you? What good? The answer is it didn't. It didn't do you any good or make you feel any better about yourself. I've come to realize over time...let's be honest, a lot of time! that I am me. I know that sounds cheesy, but I mean it very literally.  I (my body) am me (my characteristics, my sense of humor, my metabolism, my intelligence, my flaws, my strengths, and my weaknesses). Why not enjoy it? Embrace it? Love it? There is only one me in this world and there is only one you. Don't let the world miss out on getting to know you.

Instead of asking yourself "Am I pretty enough? Tall enough? Skinny enough? Tan enough? Funny enough? Curvy enough? Popular enough?", try replacing those words with uplifting and empowering words. Every time a negative or condescending word comes to your mind, think of a positive or encouraging word that starts with the same letter.

Am I Pretty Enough?  -  Am I Positive Enough?
Am I Tall Enough?  -  Am I Thankful Enough?
Am I Skinny Enough?  -  Am I Selfless Enough?
Am I Tan Enough?  -  Am I Tender-Hearted Enough?
Am I Funny Enough?  - Am I Friendly Enough?
Am I Curvy Enough?  -  Am I Christ-Like Enough?
Am I Popular Enough?  -  Am I Perseverant Enough?

This little challenge has really helped me to stop beating myself up. Women are amazing! We are amazing! We are capable of so much! We grow human beings inside our bellies! We have an immense ability to love and nurture. But we also have a need to be loved and to be nurtured. We are good enough.

Don't get me wrong, I still have hard days.  It's a work in progress that takes time, but I am on my way! I'm so lucky to have a fantastic husband that encourages and supports me. When I get down on myself and fall short, he's always reminding me that I am a loved daughter of our Heavenly Father. I have definitely found a heart that loves me at my worst and arms that hold me at my weakest! Take it all in, enjoy it, and LOVE LIFE!

Our "Camping & S'mores" Date - SO MUCH FUN! - 5.1.15
Our Newest Little Nephew - Camden - 5.5.15
Big Bro Anders Holding Baby Bro Camden - Love These Two! - 5.5.15

Making Muffins For The Month - We Love Muffins! - 5.7.15

Comments

  1. Great post Lex! Yes, I agree most women struggle with feeling inadequate and comparing ourselves with others. I am guilty too. I love your challenge to think of a positive quality instead. I am definitely going to try that! And I love you just the way you are, which is beautiful, fun, caring, intelligent, talented...the list could go on and on! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Playing Catch Up: June (Plumb Family Vaca)

How to Build a Summer Capsule Wardrobe

How to Build a Spring Capsule Wardrobe