This past week has been so great! Shawn and I have had so much time to do things together and see things we never have before. School will be crazy for him for the next four weeks, so we wanted to take advantage of every minute we could! I really am lucky I'm in love with my best friend and that we get to have so much fun together.

The first thing we did was golfing...well we went to the driving range haha. I have never actually been golfing, but I'm working up to it. This was entertaining to say the least. We went with some good friends of ours, and they all knew what they were doing except me. I had some good teachers and in no time I was hitting the ball instead of the ground. Just kidding! It was fun. And honestly, it was nice to just see the sun again and remember what it was like to have semi-warm weather!


Monday April 20th was our first Patriots' Day out here in Boston. It commemorates the Battles of Lexington & Concord and is a state-wide holiday here so Shawn didn't have school! This day is also commonly known as "Marathon Monday" because the Boston Marathon is run on this day every year. Shawn and I hopped on the T and headed downtown to watch as the first athletes crossed the finish line. It was such a neat experience! The streets all along the course were lined with THOUSANDS of fans screaming and cheering in support and encouragement. What a great way to motivate all the athletes out there, especially when they may have needed it most! The first athletes to finish were all those with disabilities who were in custom made wheelchair bicycles meant for racing. The upper body strength on those athletes is amazing! Then came all of the military personnel. I gained so much more respect for these athletes too. They had to run the race in their full military attire: long sleeve jackets, full length pants, heavy military boots, and hats. I can't imagine running a marathon in the first place let alone wearing what they did. A friend we were with said that she has volunteered before and seen some of these service men and women take off their boots at the end of the race and they are just covered in blisters! So much respect for them! Then the "elite" runners came through. These are the top of the top women (men started a half hour later than the women) who are in crazy good shape and have like zero body fat. Each of them had the longest, leanest legs I've ever seen! They didn't even look tired when they got to the end. I overheard someone saying those elite runners kept approximately a 4:00 minute mile pace. Crazy! It was so neat though. Everyone hooted and hollered as one after the other went by. The feeling of love and support was amazing. I love that a huge city full of all different kinds of people can come together on this special day each year and uplift and encourage one another!


After watching the race for awhile we headed to Burger Dive! It was so good! They have freshly made patties and THE BEST sweet potato fries :)  It had been a long time since I've had a burger and fries and I enjoyed every bite! It was the perfect end to a perfect day with my man.


On Friday night we were trying to think of something to do for our date night and decided on playing some pool down at our clubhouse! Aside from the crappy pool sticks and missing/duplicate balls, it was really fun! Neither of us are very good so it was a pretty even match haha. Then we decided to go to the mall. We had $5.00 to spend on each other and at the end we'd see who had the coolest gift. We ended up walking around together and looking at stuff then pooling our money to get a treat and rent The Fast & The Furious. We're such home bodies! I'd never seen that movie and I actually liked it. We made a big blanket and sleeping bag bed in our living room and ate our delicious treats. It's the simple things :)


Saturday morning at the crack of dawn Shawn had to go into the lab at school to study for an exam so I went running with a friend along The Charles River. For those of you not familiar with Boston, The Charles River is one of the most beautiful places in the city! And apparently everyone thinks so because there's usually a ton of people running there. That's to be expected in "The City of Runners" though. It wasn't too crowded when we were there and it was so pretty outside! The sun was shining and the trees are in full bloom. But, it was SO windy! Needless to say, I only made it 2.5 miles before I couldn't go any further. I ran to the closest T stop and took the train to a stop by Shawn's school and he picked me up on his way home. Despite the wind I managed to snap a few pictures. I'm planning on trying again this week and hopefully it won't be so dang windy this time!


Even though Shawn and I were busy having lots of fun this week, I was able to find time to meal prep and make a lot of things I've been wanting to try! I made homemade trail mix, frozen breakfast burritos, jar salads, and oatmeal packets (stay tuned for recipes). I bought all of the ingredients and got busy! I enjoyed making it all, but I loved it even more when I looked in my fridge and pantry and saw that I have healthy meals and snacks for the next few weeks. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playing Catch Up: June (Plumb Family Vaca)

How to Build a Summer Capsule Wardrobe

How to Build a Spring Capsule Wardrobe