Cute Boots + Workday Distractions



Happy Monday! I'm hoping that some of you are like me: you work from home and sometimes have a hard time focusing and avoiding distractions. As I was writing this post, I tried really hard to be honest with all of you and myself about what distracts me during my workday. So today I'm going to share what some of my distractions are and talk a little bit about how I avoid them! And please comment at the end and tell me what some of you struggle with and any suggestions you may have!


First distraction, phones. I'm so guilty of this! It's super easy to get distracted by our phones, especially if it's sitting on our desk constantly buzzing with texts, emails and notifications. While they do play a big role in communication, marketing, etc, phones are something that we can spend hours on without even realizing it. It's easy to get sucked into social media and spend lots of time reading what everyone else is up to. It's easy to say "just one more level" on the games we play. Even checking personal email or notifications too often can distract us from our work. My suggestion is to change your notification settings so that the only things that make sound are phone calls and texts. Use email on your computer so that you don't have to look at your phone to read your messages. Then place your phone on a table or other surface across the room from where you are sitting. That way you aren't seeing and reaching for your phone constantly to check your notifications. Having it across the room also requires you to get up once in awhile to check it...bonus exercise!

Another distraction I find myself facing is my environment. Working from home comes with a certain set of challenges. Most days I'm home alone and can get work done. But often I hear noisy neighbors, loud lawn mowers, and the other noises that come with living in a large apartment complex. And I'll be honest, there's times that I just want to go out to the living room and watch TV. Knowing that's an option is sometimes a struggle. I've found that having a schedule and a routine help me stay focused and on point while working from home. Be sure to include breaks for yourself to maybe watch a show or workout when creating your schedule so you don't feel the urge to do so while working! And if your work environment gets a little crazy or loud, try turning on some soft or instrumental music for white noise!

The last distraction I want to talk about is expectations.  I can't be the only one who feels overwhelmed at work sometimes! I get caught up in things and expect too much from myself. I often find myself taking on too many tasks and having too many "mental tabs" open. While it's good to have goals, deadlines, and to-do lists, we can't let ourselves take on so much that we just throw in the towel or have a mental breakdown. Balance and moderation in all things. I read some research that said people are far more effective and efficient when they take on one task at a time, focusing on that task until it is finished. Hopping from one thing to the next and back to the first is chaotic, disorganized, and can overwhelm you. My suggestion is to prioritize (use your schedule we talked about earlier!) and set realistic expectations and goals for yourself. Start with the short-term then focus on the long-term. Remember to cut yourself some slack and enjoy the ride! If you dread going to work or hate what you do, life can be rough.

Please, let me know any other tips you may have by commenting below!

Ok, on a different note...I found an amazing shoe company to add to my list of go-tos! White Mountain Shoes. They have THE CUTEST shoes...especially booties! And they are a dream to work with. So sweet. They sent me this pair of booties that I'm obsessed with! The color. The heel. The laces. Everything. I wore them on Thanksgiving and got so many compliments!



They are a nice, neutral shade of gray that literally goes with anything! I paired them with black skinnies, an olive green peplum top, a gold watch, a gold necklace and some brown sunnies.


The heel height is perfect...not too high and not an awkward stubby height. They are also easy to walk in and the quality is fabulous! I love these shoes so much and can't wait to try other pairs from White Mountain in the future. Check out all of their adorable styles. Trust me, you won't be sorry!



Shirt - Target
Jeans - Primark (similar)
Necklace - Charming Charlie 
Watch - Charming Charlie (similar)
Sunglasses - Primark (similar)

Follow White Mountain Shoes:
Instagram: @whitemountainshoes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playing Catch Up: June (Plumb Family Vaca)

How to Build a Summer Capsule Wardrobe

How to Build a Spring Capsule Wardrobe